Sunday, February 26, 2012

Story Identification Time

I'm trying to enlist people from the Disney Comics Forum to help me identify a few stories so I can index this.  Three of the stories are Duck Avenger things that I was able to find easily enough just by looking at the relevant index, but the others are non-Duck-Avenger related, and try as I might, I've been unable to find them.  They're all Italian, and they're probably all from the late seventies; no later than '81, obviously.  If you can identify any of them, leave a comment there or here.  This will make you officially awesome.
Introduction (eight pages)
 Donald learns that Daisy's out on a date with Gladstone; in a jealous rage, he finds them and throws ice cream in Gladstone's face and tears off his bowtie.  Daisy, atypically, thinks this is awesome and agrees to go out with him instead.  Yup, even more dubious gender politics than usual are at play here.

Junior Woodchucks Take a Vacation
(forty pages)
 HDL are annoyed that no vacation is forthcoming, so they run off to take one on their own.  Scrooge comes to enlist Donald's help because someone's broke into his cabin.  Assuming it's the kids, they burst into it, but oh no, it's crooks!  They get captured and HDL have to save them.

Donald Duck's Lucky Tune (thirty-Nine pages)
 This story is so fucking weird that I want to attribute it to Scarpa, even though I don't think it's his.  Donald's tired of being unlucky, so when an old sea captain tells him about a "lucky tune" that supposedly saved his life when he was an arctic explorer, he and the kids head to the North Pole to check it out.  Trust me, it doesn't make any more sense than that in context.  That "two weeks later" narrative box is part of a half-hearted effort to create the impression that the stories are interconnected.

4 Comments:

Blogger ramapith said...

Wak! I envy you—what you've got is the British equivalent of this early Egmont pocketbook. And now you can identify the other stories.

February 26, 2012 at 9:17 PM  
Blogger GeoX, one of the GeoX boys. said...

Thanks! That was easy.

February 26, 2012 at 9:23 PM  
Blogger GeoX, one of the GeoX boys. said...

Thanks for the informative comment! You've given me a lot of material to explore in the future.

February 28, 2012 at 4:53 PM  
Anonymous Elaine said...

Yes, please, a future blog-mini-series on Cimino! I do want to know what you will make of the Reginella stories. And I know I've told you this before, GeoX, but my two favorites by Cimino so far are "The Mystery of Two Civilizations" (I TL 1905-A) and the silly-sublime comment on capitalism vs. enlightenment, "Perfect Happiness" (I AT 211-A). On its way to me now from France: Donald among the Amazons! (I TL 997-A). Plus, a Magica De Spell story where Scrooge and Donald's personalities are reversed (I TL 812-A). All these are available in French! (I think only some of Grandma Duck's fireside tales are available in French.)

February 29, 2012 at 12:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home