Thursday, December 8, 2011

Public Service Announcement

Never fear, the L&T Marathon is right on track, but right now, I must make note of this:


"Hey, what's that?" Oh, nothing much, just the complete set of Disney Literature Classics I was finally able to score off of ebay. The seller said that she started buying the books for her children, but then realized that they, the books, were "too young" (but for some reason that I don't understand but am thankful for collected the entire set anyway before offloading them). Well, they may be too simple for British children of some unspecified age, but for me, they're juuuuuust right! Definitely expect an uptick in weird, poorly-translated Italian stories over the coming months hereabouts.

Now, these things are rare as hen's teeth. Believe me, I've been monitoring ebay UK very closely, and I can definitively tell you that, unless some had "buy it now" options and were snapped up before I even saw them, mine is only the second full set to appear since August (David got the first one). Maybe they'll gradually become more common as kids start "outgrowing" them, or their parents think they have. But who knows, is the point. So, while I would've held off on this posting until after Christmas, I felt it was incumbent on me to note, for the benefit of any interested parties, that there's another set available right now. I feel like it's only fair that some reader of this blog should have a shot at it, if desired. Just remember, if you want to bid and you're not a UK resident, drop the seller a polite email asking whether s/he would be willing to ship overseas. And recognize that, if you live in the US, at least, this shipping will NOT be cheap. Still, if you care about this stuff at all, it could be your golden opportunity!

(And if one of you out there is already aware of this and was trying to avoid having the word get out in order to pick it up it as cheaply as possible, I apologize--but how could I possibly have known?)

More Rosa tomorrow!

5 Comments:

Blogger Joe Torcivia said...

Geo writes:

“Definitely expect an uptick in weird, poorly-translated Italian stories over the coming months hereabouts.”

What? You’re reviewing the first year or so of Boom!? :-)

December 9, 2011 at 7:19 AM  
Blogger Comicbookrehab said...

I would love to see how Othello would work as a Donald Duck story. Captain Pete makes Donald think Gladstone is wooing Daisy? "Oh, Daisy, your handkerchief doth betray me." ;P

December 9, 2011 at 11:20 AM  
Blogger GeoX, one of the GeoX boys. said...

Joe, wicked burn! That was just about perfect.

Comicbookrehab, I'm reading them in order and haven't got that far yet, but yeah, the idea of adapting Shakespearean tragedies for duck comics causes me to raise a skeptical eyebrow. Hamlet? Dubious. Othello? Even dubious-er. I DO like your conception of how this would go, though.

December 9, 2011 at 4:09 PM  
Blogger Joe Torcivia said...

Look for at least one Vic Lockman and Paul Murry Mickey Goofy, and Minnie “King Arthur” type story from about 1966 in the midst of that collection. Translated BADLY, of course.

I’d be interested to know if there are any more stories that originated with Western in the series.

December 9, 2011 at 9:05 PM  
Blogger GeoX, one of the GeoX boys. said...

Yup--there's a Lockman/Murray "Sword in the Stone" thing in volume four. Once I've checked out all the volumes, I'll definitely provide a fuller run-down.

December 10, 2011 at 2:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home